Following the Iron Brush

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Following the Iron Brush

Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Chris,

Where did you read about the course offerings and dates (didn't see them on his website)? Have you done any of this type of work before (I know you apprenticed with a type of metal smth)? This looks like an incredibly detailed craft so I just wanted to know more whenever you have time. I went to his forum to check out the work and it looks like there is a lot of quality work being made.
toscano
Lurker

Re: Following the Iron Brush

Tue May 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Chris,
I think the course dates and info were also posted in the Iron Brush forum.
_tassos
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the questions. I have been in touch with Ford on and off for a few years. I wanted to take these courses last year but couldn't swing it, so I'm glad to have the opportunity this year. I'm on Ford's mailing list so I received notice about it a few months back.

I have a long standing interest in metal work and learned some blacksmithing while in Japan - just enough to get myself into trouble, that sort of thing.

Check out the Iron Brush forum for sure- I don't visit too often, but it inspires me in terms of a vision for what this forum could become one day.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Had a little pre-course get-together tonight at a brew-pub. I am the lone woodworker. Several knifemakers, lots of discussion about different types of abrasive belts, and learned some stuff from one of the knifemakers at who was familiar with the wrought iron I have been experimenting with from time to time. Seems it is not very good material, but he has a line on Swedish anchor chain which is supposed to be very nice stuff.

Interesting to be in the company of a group of metal heads...
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. Look forward to hearing more as you go through the course, I hope you pick up a lot of useful information to continue your ascendance up Mt. Perfection.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”