Any interest in a late Summer/early Fall workshop?

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Any interest in a late Summer/early Fall workshop?

Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Thinking about offering a course or two later this year out here in MA, and trying to gauge interest.

Early stages yet, but was thinking about a course in tool set up and use, plane tuning, sharpening, etc.. Then was thinking of a week-long course to build a splayed leg stool or table. I will reduce the 'heavy' math and geometry down as much as possible. Also considering a course covering basic house framing joints where each participant frames a building corner with sills, posts, nuki, braces, etc.

Open to other suggestions as well.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Any interest in a late Summer/early Fall workshop?

Wed May 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm interested but I'll have to rely on work giving me additional time off. If you could make it over an extended weekend, eg: Fri thru Sun then I'd be interested in any class(es) you have to offer. Understandably, the bigger projects probably don't lend themselves to 3 day workshops.

The basic house framing sounds incredibly interesting and the tool set-up & sharpening would be really useful.

Being able to set-up tools with your guidance would be great. Your blog with pictures and details are great but they don't replace true knowledge, which can only be achieved by having done some action a number of times.

I'm taking an engine maintenance course in evenings this summer and a machining course in the fall so it'll need to fall on the right dates for me but I'll do everything I can to attend.
AntoineLaMothe
Raw Log Import

Wed May 06, 2015 6:47 pm

I would also be very interested in a tool setting course. Everything sounds nice, but this is something I would drive a long way to attend for sure. Late summer and fall sounds good to me, any day. How many people would you need?

Thank you for offering it!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed May 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Shooting for 4~8 people I guess...
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu May 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Can you give a ballpark estimate of costs?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 08, 2015 7:18 am

A little premature at this point, however as a ballpark, 6 day course would be $1200~1250, a 3 day course $700 or thereabouts. The will be tool requirements, nothing too extreme, and I would imagine that those participants who practice woodwork would have most or all of the tools already. I will provide materials.

Accommodation, transportation and food would be the responsibility of the participants.

For the course I'm taking in NH right now, I'm staying at a house booked through Airbnb. I have the run of the whole house and pay $49/night. You may be able to find similar deals, and if you get together with other course participants and share a house somewhere it could be a very reasonable cost.
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Fri May 08, 2015 5:09 pm

I would love to attend. I wonder if it could be justified as a tax write off somehow. When you get more solid dates please advise. It will depend largely on the status of several builds I have scheduled this year and of course the wifes mood, as to whether I can make it or not. This would be in Massachusetts correct? A basic house framing course would be a highlight of my year.

Rob Shearer
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sat May 09, 2015 7:26 am

I'm interested too, and could swing a 3 day course around then. After Labor Day would be preferable for me (but maybe not others?). A 6 day course would be a stretch, but if there were others on board and 1 more attendee would make it happen, I could probably come through.

Almost any topic would suit me. Hand tool setup, splayed leg stool, and house framing all sound great.

One topic I'd love to learn more about is jig design/building, calibration, and use.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat May 09, 2015 7:39 am

Hey it is exciting to find that that's some solid interest :D

Thanks for the suggestions too!

Yes, would host the workshop at my shop in western MA. For those flying, the closest airport is Bradley International down near Hartford CT
moody
Lurker

Sun May 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Definitely interested, sadly it's quite the distance from Sweden for a week-long course! :o

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”