Finally getting it close (sushi)

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Finally getting it close (sushi)

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 am

Oh I am certainly envious of the vast array of restaurant choices you have down where you are Brian. It's always a delight to come down to NYC and check out new restaurants. The closest real sushi restaurants near to where I live are down in Hartford CT, about a 75 minute drive.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm

It is also one of reasons to avoid the city, lol. I can resist many of life's temptations but good sushi isn't one of them. :)
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm

It looks good! All I know of sushi (correct word usage?) is what I've been exposed to here in the USA (and the great scene in Kill Bill) and some has been great and some awful. I cant afford to go to some hidden gem in Japan and, since I can't speak Japanese, I would be at their mercy (and distain?) as to what I received. The very few places here in Kansas City has been a treat to watch the preparation and craftsmanship displayed in assembly and presentation. I really like the knives used.
There is one place here that puts cheese in the sushi!! Yuck!
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Looks good.

Chris wrote:
That most of the sushi restaurants in the US are run by Koreans or Chinese
Much the same in Australia as well.

Brian wrote:
They allow you to bring whisky too :D (the one near me gets really......really angry if you bring anything other than wine, hehe).
Whisky with sushi? Beer or sake surely!

I am lucky in that we have both good access to seafood (some people comment that the salmon here is better than they can get in Japan) and a number of good Japanese restaurants here. But I guess living in a city of 4+ million which gathers most of the migration gets you that. On the other hand, our prices for imported tools (and houses) ...

I don't tend to make sushi rice much, and my attempts to make tamagoyaki end up much like my dovetails (not quite set right and slightly out of shape). I end up doing the desserts at home :)
Iain T
Brian
Deshi

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Beer and whisky are related :)

Islay scotch is a perfect companion, but if not scotch then champagne will do. :D. I've got some great sake but it's not my go to.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”