Displaying Japanese characters

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
roberts
Double
Double

Displaying Japanese characters

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm

I have no problem displaying and printing Kanji characters in the PDF's but I cannot get them to display on the Forum posts (in the post's text, not in the attachments/illustrations). Mostly I get just one or more little squares where the Kanji should be.
For example, in this topic: here.
I am using Windows (XP), and I have tried both IE8 and Chrome as browser for the Forum.
Are other members experiencing this ?
If someone has had the problem and have solved it, can they post the solution, please ?
TIA
Rob
Jack_Ervin.

Re: Displaying Japanese characters

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I copied and pasted this from the glossary. This is in Safari on my iPad. I'll check my windows XP laptop.

K.

Kanna (Japanese plane): 鉋

Kihon (standard form/method): 基本

Kikujutsu: 規矩術

Ko (run): 股 (old) / 殳 (modern)

Kō (rise): 鈎 (old) / 勾 (modern)

Kōbai (slope): 勾配

Sashigane (Japanese framing square): 指矩
Jack_Ervin.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:57 pm

This was copied from the glossary and pasted using Chrome on Windows XP service pack 3. IE8 on this machine works too, I created and previewed but did not post it. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sashigane (Japanese framing square): 指矩
Shōchūkō 小中勾 The little chūkō, used for top/bottom cut lines on hopper mortise and tenon joints (and other places)
Shōko 小殳 The little run.
Shōkō 小勾 The little rise.
Sumitsubo (Japanese Ink-line): 墨壺

Jack
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 pm

That's why I started the glossary section..
roberts
Double
Double

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:20 am

Jack, thanks for the reply.
I think there is a misunderstanding: my problem is not the meaning or Western name/spelling for the kanji, it is that they do not display as kanji when in the text of a post.
One of those cases where if you don't have the problem it is difficult to understand it !
(Edit: OK, I see you are showing me that they can be displayed; well that's progress.)

I am now using a different PC and on this PC the kanji are displayed correctly, so it must be a local settings problem on my "main" PC.
Just wanted to know if someone knew what the correct settings were.
Rob
PS Kanji is probably not the right term either :-) Perhaps we should add it to the glossary ?
Jack_Ervin.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 am

Rob,

Good that you have another computer to be abled to post kanji characters. I noted that in your other post today. As far as settings on your main machine, I don't know. There are a number of things it could be, service pack, keyboard definitions, display, just suggestion but I don't know particulars. Maybe others can help.

As for the term kanji, I think that is right in your question. Here is Wikipedia's definition. Maybe Chris would want to include a definition in the Glossary. In the glossary heading, there is a brief explaining of the usage here but not of kanji in general.

KANJI
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kanji (help·info) (漢字?) are the logographic Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese writing system along with hiragana (ひらがな, 平仮名), katakana (カタカナ, 片仮名), Indo Arabic numerals, and the occasional use of the Latin alphabet (known as "rōmaji"). The Japanese term kanji (漢字) literally means "Han characters" or "Chinese characters" and is the same written term as is used in the Chinese language to refer to the character writing system.

Jack
ya
yanai

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 am

if you cannot view the kanji characters on your computer you will need to change the character encoding. i use mac, but do a simple search to find out what it is for your computer.

open the top menu category "view" and select "character encoding" from the drop down menu.

when that opens choose "auto detect" then select "japanese."

you can also choose "uni-code (UTF-8)."

then reopen the page and the kanji should be visible. i hope i understood your question correctly. hope that helps.

mike

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”