Forum Update

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Forum Update

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:50 pm

The forum, at long last, will be updated to a current version, and this is slated to happen sometime next week. I'll post up when I have more details. It will likely be down for a few hours, but nothing any worse than that.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Forum Update

Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 pm

It seems the forum update will take place Friday May 12th from 2-4 CST. Looking forward to it!!!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm

A note of thanks to forum member Chris Pyle who worked with a fellow named Jim (with phpbb)to update this forum at long last. Not only did Chris work to engineer the changeover, but he even paid for it out of his own pocket!

Chris will be given admin access in the very near future. Then we can customize the look of this forum a bit.

For now I'm psyched to finally have this thing updated. I had been worried the outdated version might become vulnerable to crashing and data loss at some point, so any chance that might have happened has been forestalled.

Let me know, y'all, how you like the new look and if you have any questions/concerns/observations, please feel free to share them here.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sat May 13, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks Chris and Chris! Looks great so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.
Yxoc

Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes, many thanks to all those that have and do contribute to this forum, especially those who assisted with the recent update. Although I haven't been hanging out here as much in recent times, this remains a very special place for me personally and I think all would agree it's a fantastic group of members and the content is of the highest quality, and really unique on the english speaking web.

Warmest regards to all

Derek
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Sat May 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Agreed.Thanks Chris P.

When I first saw the new look I was shocked, shocked I say! I can't handle this change! ( ;) )

Actually, it seems fine. While I haven't quite got used to the poster's profile details sitting on the right (I'm sure I will), I was at least able to correctly set my time zone. I finally found the "set it to a location not a time offset" setting. I don't know if it was in the old version or I was just blind before.

What kinds of things were you thinking of changing?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 am

nyamo_iaint wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:54 pm
Agreed.Thanks Chris P.

When I first saw the new look I was shocked, shocked I say! I can't handle this change! ( ;) )

Actually, it seems fine. While I haven't quite got used to the poster's profile details sitting on the right (I'm sure I will), I was at least able to correctly set my time zone. I finally found the "set it to a location not a time offset" setting. I don't know if it was in the old version or I was just blind before.

What kinds of things were you thinking of changing?
I don't want to speak for Chris because he may have more things in mind but we've discussed adding a wallpaper and potentially a logo to give it a customized feel. There are a number of themes/styles available that give it a 'new coat of paint'.

One idea I've been mulling in my head is to add header images for all of the tool and project subforums but I haven't presented it to Chris because I don't know if it's possible. Just spitballin at this point.

I don't know what level of difficulty this kind of customization entails so I can't promise anything but if you have ideas, please share them.

And let me say thank you to all of the contributing members here, I hope this site continues to amass information and provide a home for those dedicated to learning/building.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 6:47 am

So, we've (Chris Pyle) done a style change to the forum itself. What do you all think? Love it? Hate it?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 am

I like how the bookmark toolbar favicon is now a chisel.
Brian
Deshi

Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am

Looks great, very much enjoying the new layout.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”