Forum Update

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Forum Update

Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am

Brian wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am
Looks great, very much enjoying the new layout.
Thanks Brian, hope everyone else feels the same :)

Nyamo, I moved the poster avatar/profile details back to the left since I also wasn't fond of the right-sided view. I suppose I've been trained by the majority of the other forums but it felt off.
Chris Hall wrote: I like how the bookmark toolbar favicon is now a chisel.
I found that late last night. I'd like to make a clearer favicon but for now it's a good placeholder and makes it a bit more custom. I think the one I used was created for larger resolutions.

I'm also watching a few how-to videos on creating icons so we can replace the default on the header. Do you have anything in mind for a forum icon?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

I'm also watching a few how-to videos on creating icons so we can replace the default on the header. Do you have anything in mind for a forum icon?
I do have an idea about that...
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am

Chris Hall wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am
I do have an idea about that...
When you have time, I'd like to hear more.
Jack_Ervin.

Fri May 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Chris Hall wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Let me know, y'all, how you like the new look and if you have any questions/concerns/observations, please feel free to share them here.
Chris H,
When you posted this the changes that Chris P was making were looking easy to follow and maneuver but there have been more recent modifications and this model is strange to me to say the least. I haven't posted lately as I have been involved in other interest but I regularly visit here. I'll continue to come here and rub on the latest interface and maybe understand the layout.
Regards,
Jack Ervin
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm liking the new look! Definitley prefer avatars on the left.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Is the wallpaper blurry by design, or is it a low-res image in the first place? It would be nice to see the same picture but clearer.
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Chris Hall wrote:What do you all think? Love it? Hate it?
Well, after my mock surprise after the forum was updated, I suppose I deserve the actual surprise I got this time. But, I like the new look.

If I could offer any suggestions it would be that there is now quite a lot of blank space. The user profile boxes on the left take up a lot of vertical space, which means that for a short reply there will be a lot extra scrolling to do.

Also, perhaps making the text colour a little darker would help me - it's currently (68,68,68), which I find to be lacking contrast.
Chris Hall wrote:I like how the bookmark toolbar favicon is now a chisel.
So it is, I couldn't quite make it out - I thought it was some kind of misshaped saw. (Runs away and hides).
Chris Hall wrote:Is the wallpaper blurry by design, or is it a low-res image in the first place? It would be nice to see the same picture but clearer.
It also has some weird animated vaguely triangular graph thingies floating on top of it.

Random aside: does the new forum offer any increased ability to change user display names? As much as I like consistency (I use this one on other fora), it does glaring conflict with Chris's real name policy (which I managed to somehow not see while signing up). Or does it require database hackery?

Cheers,
Iain
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 8:06 pm

It also has some weird animated vaguely triangular graph thingies floating on top of it.
Yeah, noticed that too - what's up with that? Can it be removed?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Chris Hall wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:06 pm
Yeah, noticed that too - what's up with that? Can it be removed?
Just removed it. I also darkened the color overlay on the picture for now since it's so blurry. The problem is I'm unable to find a high-res image that's hosted online. And even if we do, no guarantees since the pictures may be compressed for performance reasons. I'll do some searching.
nyamo_iaint wrote:
Chris Hall wrote:What do you all think? Love it? Hate it?
Well, after my mock surprise after the forum was updated, I suppose I deserve the actual surprise I got this time. But, I like the new look.

If I could offer any suggestions it would be that there is now quite a lot of blank space. The user profile boxes on the left take up a lot of vertical space, which means that for a short reply there will be a lot extra scrolling to do.

Also, perhaps making the text colour a little darker would help me - it's currently (68,68,68), which I find to be lacking contrast.
Chris Hall wrote:I like how the bookmark toolbar favicon is now a chisel.
So it is, I couldn't quite make it out - I thought it was some kind of misshaped saw. (Runs away and hides).
Chris Hall wrote:Is the wallpaper blurry by design, or is it a low-res image in the first place? It would be nice to see the same picture but clearer.

Random aside: does the new forum offer any increased ability to change user display names? As much as I like consistency (I use this one on other fora), it does glaring conflict with Chris's real name policy (which I managed to somehow not see while signing up). Or does it require database hackery?

Cheers,
Iain
Thanks lain, I'll see if we can minimize the space on the sides and darken or thicken the forum font (or swap fonts if needed) to offer more contrast.

**edit** just darkened it to something like 12,12,12 , let me know if this helps.
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Chris Pyle wrote: Thanks lain, I'll see if we can minimize the space on the sides and darken or thicken the forum font (or swap fonts if needed) to offer more contrast.

**edit** just darkened it to something like 12,12,12 , let me know if this helps.
Thanks Chris. It's much clearer for me now.
I don't know why there has been this recent trend in web page design for low contrast. I wonder whether I'll still be able to read anything in 20 years time when I'm 60.

Don't fuss too much over the spacing: it is a pretty minor complaint after all.

Iain

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”