Forum Update

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Forum Update

Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 am

One of the things I'm not wild about with this new style is that when I visit the forum and look to see if their are any new topics or replies, it is not immediately obvious. It seems that new replies are in a darker bold, but I think I prefer the older style in that regard.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Wed May 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Chris Hall wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 am
One of the things I'm not wild about with this new style is that when I visit the forum and look to see if their are any new topics or replies, it is not immediately obvious. It seems that new replies are in a darker bold, but I think I prefer the older style in that regard.
There's a widget at the bottom that shows most recent topics and time of posting. Would you like that as a right-sided panel next to the forum threads? Or as a header? We can also increase the number of recent topics it displays, I set it to 4 as a tester.
Gadge
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

You can also go to quick links at the top left and choose new posts.

Gadge
Yxoc

Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I am noticing that when I go to the forum, none of the latest threads seem to have live links at the top level of the forum (I can't click to go to the most recent post) and I have to drill down into the sub-forums before there is a link that I can click to take me to the latest entry in that thread.

Is it just me?
Jack_Ervin.

Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 am

Yxoc wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm
I am noticing that when I go to the forum, none of the latest threads seem to have live links at the top level of the forum (I can't click to go to the most recent post) and I have to drill down into the sub-forums before there is a link that I can click to take me to the latest entry in that thread.

Is it just me?
No, it's not just you. Unlike the previous way, I had to open this reply and then scroll down to get to the last page of replies. Also, when I closed out and came back minutes later to reply to you, it was quiet a search to find this place again. Before recent activity would list the latest post.

Also, in the past on this reply panel there was a Cancel button, now I only see Save Draft, Preview, Submit.

I'll keep coming back and maybe after a while this change will make sense to me.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat May 27, 2017 8:15 am

Please keep in mind that the recent forum change remains provisional. If it proves to be unpopular, there will be no problem returning to the classic Sub-silver theme we had after updating the forum a week or two back.
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am

Gadge wrote:
This is what I do, in fact I've set my bookmark to go to that page as well.
I can then click on the little right facing arrow next to the thread title and it takes me directly to the first unread post.
Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 10.22.54.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 10.22.54.png (61.32 KiB) Viewed 18862 times
This way I don't miss a thing (except by incompetence of course).
Jack_Ervin wrote:No, it's not just you. Unlike the previous way, I had to open this reply and then scroll down to get to the last page of replies. Also, when I closed out and came back minutes later to reply to you, it was quiet a search to find this place again. Before recent activity would list the latest post.
Also in the quick links at the top left is the "recent activity" search, which shows all the recently updated threads (from the last seven days for me). I find the new posts option a bit more helpful though, because of the aforementioned "go to first unread post" arrow.

Apologies to those who were already aware of these features. And for my use of needlessly long words.

Cheers,
Iain
Jack_Ervin.

Sat May 27, 2017 10:00 am

nyamo_iaint wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am
Gadge wrote:
This is what I do, in fact I've set my bookmark to go to that page as well.
I can then click on the little right facing arrow next to the thread title and it takes me directly to the first unread post.

Also in the quick links at the top left is the "recent activity" search, which shows all the recently updated threads (from the last seven days for me). I find the new posts option a bit more helpful though, because of the aforementioned "go to first unread post" arrow.

Apologies to those who were already aware of these features. And for my use of needlessly long words.

Cheers,
Iain
Thanks for the explanation, I had over looked that. I'll keep rubbing on it.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Been awhile since I've been on but really like the new site design and interface so far. Thanks, Chris!
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Chris, hate to be a pita (the phrase that often precedes being a pita :mrgreen: ) but could you increase the max photo size to whatever size by 2500 pixels wide? Maybe just for photos hosted off site?

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”