Forum Update

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Forum Update

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:44 pm

John Whitley wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 pm
FYI, Preview can batch resize images:

How to resize multiple images in Preview
I knew there must be way! Thanks!
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Brian wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am
Ah, thank you! Much appreciated. I've gotten a few complaints on my blog about image sizes (being too large) so maybe it is time to resize them first.
Is the 1000px width limitation okay to stay? I haven't really dug into it yet but I can this weekend if needed.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Chris Pyle wrote:

Is the 1000px width limitation okay to stay? I haven't really dug into it yet but I can this weekend if needed.
Is there any option to have the image automatically resized down to 1000 pixels wide, say, if a person uploaded something larger? A forum I used to visit had such a feature, but I don't know if it is something readily available or some sort of custom coding work.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:25 am

Thanks gents! Auto-resizing would be awesome if it is not too much trouble.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:41 am

I set the maximum image width to 1000px so if someone wants to test it out I'd appreciate it. I don't know if it'll simply give you an error, asking you to reduce the size of the photo or if there is some fancy image resizer built in. I'm guessing the former.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 am

Chris Hall wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm
Chris Pyle wrote:

Is there any option to have the image automatically resized down to 1000 pixels wide, say, if a person uploaded something larger? A forum I used to visit had such a feature, but I don't know if it is something readily available or some sort of custom coding work.
I missed this. I'll look around and see if I can find something.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am

I get the same error about max width, so no image resizing being done. Thanks for looking into this!
John Whitley
Deshi

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Perhaps this should be a new thread, but I just noticed the following when using the forum software to search for "sketchup":
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: sketchup.

:facepalm:

Likewise, my usual phpBB fallback of using

Code: Select all

site:thecarpentryway.com sketchup
on web search engines returns nothing, likely because the search engines (tested Google and DuckDuckGo) aren't spidering the site for some reason. There didn't appear to be a robots.txt file in place, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

This affects a lot of potentially useful keywords. Some may really be "too common" (e.g. kanna also hits this filter), but even restricting the search to post titles and a specific author doesn't allow any results back.

Is anyone aware of a workaround for the forum's search limitation here? Sometimes even a large result set can be useful, for example "I want to methodically troll through most/all of the posts that mention 'kanna'".
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:20 am

John Whitley wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 pm
Perhaps this should be a new thread, but I just noticed the following when using the forum software to search for "sketchup":
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: sketchup.

:facepalm:

Likewise, my usual phpBB fallback of using

Code: Select all

site:thecarpentryway.com sketchup
on web search engines returns nothing, likely because the search engines (tested Google and DuckDuckGo) aren't spidering the site for some reason. There didn't appear to be a robots.txt file in place, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

This affects a lot of potentially useful keywords. Some may really be "too common" (e.g. kanna also hits this filter), but even restricting the search to post titles and a specific author doesn't allow any results back.

Is anyone aware of a workaround for the forum's search limitation here? Sometimes even a large result set can be useful, for example "I want to methodically troll through most/all of the posts that mention 'kanna'".
Hi John, I'll post a message to the theme's creator to see if he did anything to customize searching. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”