Not really off topic

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Not really off topic

Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm

I appreciate the efforts, and of course while I have created my own website the experience is very much plug and play so I don't have much awareness in respect to the programming.

You should be able to use vimeo links, yes.

Edit shows for me along with delete. For you it could be a spam thing....not sure why the spam thing applies to a moderator which is annoying.

What kind of access do you need to work out these sort of details?

I certainly understand why the double log-in is annoying, not sure I can offer much help though. WP seems to be bent on the idea of having every single user log into wordpress if they want to post anything in addition, here, apparently to logging into the forum. I've tried to work around allowing facebook access and so forth, not sure if that helps make it any easier.

That said, there may be something I'm simply missing in terms of settings.
John Whitley
Deshi

Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Bizarre. Edit shows up now, but absolutely wasn't there before, even immediately after I used my moderator powers to approve the post.

Brian, probably the first step would just be a link to the forum software's documentation and I'll go from there. If everyone needs to log into wordpress.com, then that could be used for single sign-on (SSO), ala Facebook/Google/etc SSO logins that so many sites offer. So I'm really confused as to the intent if double-login is indeed expected. It _is_ common for sites that use SSO login from another provider to use a local handle/identity (e.g. your identity on the forum is separate from your Wordpress login). But the external SSO login is usually all that's needed to authenticate in those cases.
John Whitley
Deshi

Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Brian, on further reflection, I suspect the missing edit and delete buttons are an artifact of the moderation probationary period you changed in settings. Users who aren't out of probation may have those buttons hidden to prevent spam bot shenanigans, or other bad behavior.
Brian
Deshi

Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks John,

I also believe that is the case wrt edit/delete.

As far as the login, I’ll send over everything I find after Henry goes to bed tonight.
Brian
Deshi

Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 am

Here is the documentation

https://wpforo.com/documentation/
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 am

Firstly, I must thank Chris for his creation and hosting over the few years I've been a member. Sadly my free time seems to not live up to my aspirations to have been able to actually contribute more than the odd comment. I appreciate your quite often thorough responses to peoples questions (like going to the trouble with drawing all those stretcher to leg drawings).

I had considered when I first read it also offering to host, since I suspect that a phpBB instance would fit within the VM I already have. I suspect that my time for running a forum is as limited as my time for woodworking. It is better hands than mine with Brian. So thanks Brian and John for keeping the forum alive albeit elsewhere.

Regarding the existing content, is the idea to migrate it to the new location as is? Some of the content (like the descriptions of the toolbox build and the catalogue of kanna makers) could be archived as static pages or wiki content if not. I could help with that probably if needed.

I'm going to miss the site theme if it goes away :D

Iain
John Whitley
Deshi

Tue May 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Brian wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 am
Here is the documentation

https://wpforo.com/documentation/
Thanks Brian. The docs weren’t directly illuminating, but dredging the WPforo forum has started to turn up more useful things. In particular this thread may (?) be relevant. Someone running into login related workflow stuff, running on a wordpress.com business plan. A WPforo support staffer writes there:
wpForo is designed for self-hosted WordPress websites. I'm sorry but I can't debug this issue and help you. wpForo is not developed for such usage. WordPress.com authorization may have some difference, we have not developed wpForo for WordPress.com so we can't help you in this case.
It’s starting to seem like the issue I’m seeing is a problem relating to wordpress.com hosting, it’s auth workflow and plugins, and WPforo not all getting along. Sigh.

I’ll do a bit more digging later and see what I can turn up.
Brian
Deshi

Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am

That’s frustrating as I found the software through my wordpress.com supported plugins application in my admin console.

I think their may be a better software for this, so I’m going to do some hunting around.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed May 16, 2018 2:08 pm

It’s probably worth checking out bbPress. I gather that it has fewer features out of the box, but is designed to be extended with other plugins. E.g. it integrates with BuddyPress to support private messaging, user profiles, etc. bbPress is apparently a Wordpress.org project, and it seems like it will integrate better with a range of hosting solutions.
Brian
Deshi

Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Interested to know what you think of this before I go any further. Not sure I'm thrilled with this at all, it seems to be incapable of having a forum that is seperate from the website well integrated into one page with stand-alone widget area and so forth, like the other one has.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/cra ... in-wood-2/

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this, I dont mind putting the effort in but one seems worse than the next. Frankly, I think the previous one is fine but needs the login sorted.

Buddypress seems to be good if you want to have the entire site dedicated to use as a forum.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”