Not really off topic

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Not really off topic

Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 am

Chris gave me access to bluehost, but I’ve yet to log in. I will soon, likely this weekend. I’m getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow so it’s likely I’ll have some time to sit around.

After that my life gets quite busy for a little while as I wrap up one job and start two larger ones at the same time. So I’m wondering if it comes down to it, will we be able to save the forum in an archival fashion to remove the time crunch?
John Whitley
Deshi

Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm

There are probably a few options to archive everything. I can certainly help research that, or perhaps Chris already knows the relevant details. That said, it'd be nice (and probably easier) to just get things migrated, so perhaps I can help out there more directly if free time becomes an obstacle?

There are also a few administrative things beyond archiving, mostly transferring the domain registration for "thecarpentryway.com" and setting it up a simple redirect to the new forum. I'd be happy to take that on; it's trivial for me to do. At this point, I'm not really expecting to be able to do redirection of the old thread URLs unless the migration process somehow takes that into account and sets up WPforo accordingly.
Brian
Deshi

Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 pm

John,

I appreciate any and all help you're willing to offer. To be completely frank, I feel a bit out of my depth here and rather I feel someone like yourself may consider this a bit of easy work.

Would it be possible to coordinate some of this, perhaps in a phone call? I'm not quite grasping all that is needed on my end and some of this stuff may become more obvious in a quite phone call than written format.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 am

John Whitley wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm
There are also a few administrative things beyond archiving, mostly transferring the domain registration for "thecarpentryway.com" and setting it up a simple redirect to the new forum. I'd be happy to take that on; it's trivial for me to do. At this point, I'm not really expecting to be able to do redirection of the old thread URLs unless the migration process somehow takes that into account and sets up WPforo accordingly.

In regards to the domain registration piece, the following message was received to my email last week:
An expired domain will enter the redemption period after approximately 30 days. This holding period lasts an additional 45 - 60 days, during which the domain will become available to be redeemed by the current registrant for an additional fee, or be purchased by a third party for auction. If the domain is not redeemed or acquired within the redemption period, it will be submitted to the Registry for deletion and will be unrecoverable until it is released for anyone to register.
There are about 20 days to go now on that.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Chris,

In the Admin log for this board, under the Maintenance tab, do you see an option for 'Database'. I dont have it, but when I search methods for transferring they show it on screen shots.

I logged into BlueHost, but I dont know what to do with it just yet. :D

I'm heavily medicated at the moment, so it could also be me. Wisdom teeth are out.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 am

Yes, I do, on the left, with sub-headings "Restore", "Back Up", and "Search Index"

Is there something I can help with?
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 am

I think database access might be limited to the site owner.

I understand we need a backup copy of the site before proceeding and to be used to upload to the new site.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:30 am

Brian,

I changed you to 'founder' status - see if that makes a difference in access.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 pm

That did the trick, thanks Chris!
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:11 pm

OK, I've downloaded the forum to my computer, so now I'm aiming to upload to my site. Not quite sure how to go about doing that.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”