Hello all from a new user

What's on your mind?
Richard.1
Lurker

Hello all from a new user

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:45 am

Hello all
My name is Richard I'm new here (first post) and thought I would introduce myself.
In the last 2 years or so I have taken up carpentry as a hobby, I have made myself a sturdy but basic workbench, I now have a Record 52 1/2 to fit to it so I will dispose of the temporary chipboard top and make a solid bench top.
I have also just finished making a router table, again basic but functional. I can always upgrade when necessary. I have basic hand tools, and aim to get more on an as needed basis.
I have made some free standing shelf units for my children, a tall table and most recently a glass top coffee table which resides in the living room.
I am getting more interested in Japanese joinery, having the furniture or structure support itself without glue or fixings makes sense, my carpentry skills aren’t great and some things take a lot of time, but the end product is more important to me, I’m doing mostly for pleasure after all.
I am thinking of getting some Japanese chisels and a plane, at the moment I have an entry set of Stanley chisels and an old Record 4 ½ plane but would like to try some better quality tools to see if they make a difference to accuracy and reduce tear out, I know it will take time and a lot of practice also.
I had a go at making a half lap mitre joint and the sword tip mitres in post 38 of Chris’ Ming inspired cabinet (beautiful and inspiring work), maybe a bit ambitious but I gave it a shot, I won’t be using them in furniture just yet but they serve as a starting point for future reference.
I have been looking through the forum for tips, tricks and ideas and find it very useful, so for now I will probably be doing more viewing than posting, but please forgive me if I ask obvious questions as I am a novice and want to learn.
Anyway enough rambling from me, look forward to reading and seeing more.

Regards to all.

Richard.
Jon B
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Hello all from a new user

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:23 am

Welcome to the forum Richard
Vips

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 am

Welcome to the forum Richard.

Keep an eye out for my posts, they usually contain every silly question possible! :)
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Welcome Richard!
Gadge

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Richard,

Where are you located?
Richard.1
Lurker

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:07 pm

At present I live in Queensland Australia. I see you are in Sydney Gadge. I imagine you have good timber suppliers there? up here all i seem to be able to get in any usable quantity is pine or oak, so I use oak mostly.
Gadge

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Richard,

When you say Oak, do you mean Tassie Oak? If so, it's good material. I've built a couple of skin on frame kayaks and used Western Red Cedar almost exclusively. Almost all of it came from council clean up days. You can even get good Australian Red Cedar if you keep your eyes open.

You mentioned tear out. The kannas give a beautiful finish but your Stanley plane should give good results too. One problem some people have when starting out is they don't have a good idea of what sharp is. The average person never sees a really sharp knife and it's the same with planes. I have a decent collection of kanna and could spare a mid range one if you want to gain some experience.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:46 pm

A good cap iron setup/setting and a sharp blade will cure most tear out. Changing tools will only add more variables, so you can cure it with the stuff you have and you probably should with them prior to adding more difficulty with different planes.
Richard.1
Lurker

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:37 am

Hi Gadge and Brian
Thanks for the replies.
The Oak I get is from major DIY outlets as there’s not much in the way of mills that supply for furniture making in this area, I use Red Oak and I’m sure the other is White Oak, not sure about the Tassie part but will check when I’m home next.

I’m on a steep learning curve with all aspects of carpentry including tool condition and am aware that a mid range tool that is set up correctly will give better results than a blunt higher end tool in the inexperienced hand. I believe what Brian said about too many variables to be wise words, it is better to get proficient in one tool before adding more, having said that I would really like to try a Kanna and Japanese chisel, a mid range as you spoke of Gadge would be a good starting point.

In the past I have used western push saws without much success in accuracy so when i saw an entry level pull saw in a DIY store I thought I would give it a go, no miracles but there was a definite improvement in accuracy and find it more natural and comfortable to use. So my theory is to try different tools and methods early on to see which feels better suited to me so I can get on the “right path” sooner rather get a couple of years down the line and find myself saying “why did I not try this earlier”.

One last note on tool condition, I do know that you only get from a tool what you are willing to put into it, I'm sure setting up a kanna is not as easy as those old masters make it look but I would like to give it a go and learn so Gadge if you are willing to part with a Kanna send me some more info and we will see what we can arrange, it will be going to a good home.

Regards

Richard
Brian
Deshi

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 pm

My passion for understanding also practically requires me to love the stuff I do/own, so I fully understand your insistence. If you run into any stumbling blocks post them up!

Return to “Lounge”