Brand new Kanna for sale

Please state clearly in the heading of your proposal whether it is for sale (FS), something you want to buy (WTB) or something you would trade for (TRADE). If you respond to someone's advertisement by private messaging, please let others know by posting a comment such as 'PM sent'. Thanks!
Charlie Waterman
Lurker

Brand new Kanna for sale

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:24 am

Dear all,

I have a completely brand new untouched (ba taking it out of the box) 80mm Kotobuki Tsunesaburo kanna (#1 blue steel blade corner/rift cut dia) for sale at £125 ($190) plus shipping.

I purchased the kanna from Stu only a few months ago and unfortunately as soon as I picked it up I realised my mistake - it's just too ambitious for me size wise. So sadly what to my amateur eyes looks like a nice plane remains unloved and needs the hands of someone who can take care of it properly!!.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (74.64 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
Jack_Ervin.

Re: Brand new Kanna for sale

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Charlie Waterman wrote:Dear all,

I have a completely brand new untouched (ba taking it out of the box) 80mm Kotobuki Tsunesaburo kanna (#1 blue steel blade corner/rift cut dia) for sale at £125 ($190) plus shipping.

I purchased the kanna from Stu only a few months ago and unfortunately as soon as I picked it up I realised my mistake - it's just too ambitious for me size wise. So sadly what to my amateur eyes looks like a nice plane remains unloved and needs the hands of someone who can take care of it properly!!.
Have you got a buyer yet? I would like to purchase it. I am in Texas. Where will it be shipping from?
Jack
Charlie Waterman
Lurker

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Jack - that's great, it's yours - I'll be shipping it to you from the UK.
Jack_Ervin.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Charlie Waterman wrote:Hi Jack - that's great, it's yours - I'll be shipping it to you from the UK.
Check your PM.
Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi Charlie,

Do you mind me asking how long this took to arrive from Stu?

Cheers,

Vips
Brian
Deshi

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Just a heads up but Teshiba (Mandaraya) sells Tsunesaburo and so does Tomohito Iida. Iida is doing his spring sale where he gives better pricing. Better being lower :D

My experience with Teshiba, Iida and So Yamashita are that if they have it in stock, they ship straight away.
Vips

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks Brian. I'm quite confused on what Kanna, and Nomi to get started with. It seems anyone holding stock of Japanese tools in the UK are usually hugely overpriced and seldom have a range of products.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 am

The setup work is going to be the same, regardless. I started with a 70mm Yokoyama. I have a 42mm ko-ganna on the way next from Yokoyama in blue steel. I should have probably started the opposite way around because the small dai won't move as much.

Get started with something from a good maker, so even after you are on Kanna #5 or 10 you will still use your original Kanna.

I went a little wild on Kanna 1, but I think that second time around I might have just ordered a kikuhiromaru to get started, their tools have done very well for me and they're moderately priced.

Same with chisels, I've used a bunch of different makers and prefer kikuhiromaru to most of them. They're durable and easy to sharpen.
Vips

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:38 am

Brian wrote:The setup work is going to be the same, regardless. I started with a 70mm Yokoyama. I have a 42mm ko-ganna on the way next from Yokoyama in blue steel. I should have probably started the opposite way around because the small dai won't move as much.

Get started with something from a good maker, so even after you are on Kanna #5 or 10 you will still use your original Kanna.

I went a little wild on Kanna 1, but I think that second time around I might have just ordered a kikuhiromaru to get started, their tools have done very well for me and they're moderately priced.

Same with chisels, I've used a bunch of different makers and prefer kikuhiromaru to most of them. They're durable and easy to sharpen.

Thanks Brian. Your experience will be invaluable for me when selecting some new tools. I just hope I can stop myself from catching the bug going around causing lots of overwhelming purchasing urges.. or perhaps I'm yet another victim in the making.. :)

I'll start another thread to outline my needs based on my work. Hopefully I can get some decent tools ordered.

Thanks again for taking the time Brian.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Anytime! Start your post and I will add my thoughts.

Return to “Tools and Materials: Buy/Sell/Trade”