Thanks Google....

Straightedges, rules, squares, sumitsubo, sashigane - those items we employ when 'putting the lines on the wood'
Brian
Deshi

Thanks Google....

Thu May 21, 2015 10:14 am

I really appreciate the assistance;

I never knew such a device would also work well for marking wood.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Thanks Google....

Thu May 21, 2015 10:58 am

Wow, interesting tool you found.

So, as I understand it, you place both weapons in a persons hair and then swing it like a sickle?

to be fair to google, I can't imagine the difficulty behind creating language conversion software.
Brian
Deshi

Thu May 21, 2015 11:40 am

It's a multi-tool, I can defend my house, get into petty fights (hair pulling) and trim my lawn.

Hah, I'm glad that their is even such a translator, but it's fun to see what it comes up with, lol.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu May 21, 2015 4:12 pm

The marking gauge, kama ke-biki, literally is sickle (鎌) hair (毛) pulling (引). That one of the biggest difficulties for computer translation - idiomatic terms. Going from English to Japanese via google translate is fraught with peril in this regard.

How do you think English expressions like,

-an albatross around one's neck
-cool as a cucumber
-blow a gasket
-add insult to injury,

would translate directly into Japanese?

I think there is less idiomatic construction in Japanese, perhaps, but Google translate still does a rather poor job in many cases.

Google is translating literally. 'Kama' does mean sickle, however in this context it refers to the bent-neck form of the blade. 'Ke' may be hair but in this context it refers to a hairline cut.
Brian
Deshi

Thu May 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Chris, I took it that the literal translation to 'weapon' was also a which would could mean 'blade'....is this true?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 pm

The part it is translating as "two weapons" is '二丁'

The first part, 二, does mean two.

The second part, 丁, is a counter for various things. It can mean 'city blocks', two-page leafs of paper, dishes of food, blocks of tofu, guns. In the context of the ad for that tool, the compound '二丁' indeed means 'two-blade' or 'two-knife'

Return to “Marking and Layout Tools”