Kegakigeji ケガキゲージ

Straightedges, rules, squares, sumitsubo, sashigane - those items we employ when 'putting the lines on the wood'
Brian
Deshi

Re: Kegakigeji ケガキゲージ

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:51 am

Oh cool, I am excited to see your thoughts in blog on the topic, so I'll leave it go for now.

As I progress with hand tools I find more and more that if I want the finished result that I strive for that a high level of precision actually makes things easier. If one creates a flat panel with a jack and jointer, then the job of the finish plane is fairly easy. This was against the line of reasoning that I received from many who were of the opinion that 'looks flat' is flat enough.....'looks flat' is not flat enough if you want to take a full length shaving, or if you plan to reference off the faces of a board as you proceed through the build.

My current tolerance for flat references is about .005", tighter on smaller pieces, and square enough that the double square cannot teeter-totter on it, which is presumably quite accurately square, my guess would be .002", since one shaving can noticeably alter the fit.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 am

I find that if the stock comes out of the jointing stage well, processes undertaken further along have an increased likelihood of going smoothly.

The kagaki gage is in shipment now, along with a new 42mm tachi ganna. Should have them in hand in a another couple of days.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Awesome!

I'm pacing myself at this point as I have a pending order for some paring chisels, a kanna, another stone, ect. Sorting out the details currently.

I know I'm going to need a tachi ganna, a straightedge with the notch, and possibly a chisel to adjust the inside of the bottom, but I feel I'll let the kanna arrive and season for a little bit before I make any adjustments.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Not sure if the following is old news to you or not, but for the benefit of all readers:

The longer the better, generally speaking, when it comes to dai 'seasoning'. I think though, this process can be taken beyond the point of usefulness, kinda like the idea that the longer a piece of wood air dries, the better. It's only true to a point. Leaving a dai to season for a year or even two is fine, but beyond that you aren't accomplishing much. Fitting the blade a day or three after getting the tool into the shop is similarly counterproductive.

Once the dai has gotten used to your shop space, then it seems to me that the best time to fit the blade is when the humidity is smack dab in the middle of the typical range. Around here, for example, I wouldn't want to fit a blade up in the middle of the sticky humid summer, or in the depths of bone-dry winter. I'd be looking to fit in the fall or spring. In fact, that reminds me I have a couple of planes in the aisle, needing to get into the shikomi.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 pm

I appreciate the advice, I have been studying up on your 'Kanna help you, perhaps?' And some of the other posts you have put together on the subject and recall reading your advice on seasoning. I plan to wait as long as possible, but a year may be pushing it for me so I will likely wait until I hit the medium point between seasons this spring. That will give me plenty of time to accumulate the necessary tools for adjustment and use some small time Kanna that I acquire in the meantime (block plane size) which are not going to move as much as the 70mm I have on order.

In fact, being that my shop has forced air, I'm keen to the idea you proposed of seasonal planes, one set for summer and one for winter.

Thank you for having created those posts and making the very detailed information public, it has reduced a somewhat daunting prospect to something that looks quite straightforward.

Return to “Marking and Layout Tools”