All Japanese Welcome in Holland

Traditional framing and building practices, using wood, stone, straw, clay.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

All Japanese Welcome in Holland

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:23 am

The arbieds inspectie, a sort of immigration control agency of the Dutch state, recently fined the Japan cultural organization of Rotterdam 60,000€ because they had invited carpenters out of Japan to build an authentic tea house for them but the carpenters had no work permits. In their own defense this organization discovered a 400 year-old unused but still valid treaty allowing Japanese to work in the Netherlands. So if they want, Japanese citizens can come now to The Netherlands and work.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: All Japanese Welcome in Holland

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 am

:lol:
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 am

I would love to learn more about this proiect? Where is this tea house being build? Is it for a public project or a private client, What company is running the job?
Is there any publicity made for it?

Ernest id you read about this immigration issue in the newspaper?
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 am

I saw this story in Trouw. It is then the question just what was the story about? Immigration policy, Dutch bureaucracy, Japanese cultural exchange, how an institution goes about facilitating such a project? Or we could take it to another level and ask maybe if it says more about the quality and nature of mainstream corporate media. I mean I know what I found most noteworthy but still cannot say just what the article was about.

Well, within that article there was some information to help answer your questions.
The location is Rotterdam, the giver of the assignment to build the tea house was the Japanese cultural organization there, so more private than public I guess. The company running the job- if you mean the Japanese company that was not mentioned only that the company owner was from a small island and this was his first time off the island and he got a personal 100€ fine for his negligence.

There was a picture of a very beautiful tea house accompanying that article and maybe we can imply that was the center of the controversy and if so we are just getting wind of the whole thing after the fact, huh, typical.

If you find out more Mathieu maybe you will pass it on here, thanks.
Evans
Raw Log Import

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 am

Mathieu wrote:Where is this tea house being build? Is it for a public project or a private client, What company is running the job?
Is there any publicity made for it?
I believe this article is about the project, but I can't be sure:
http://www.kees-ouwens.jp/view49.php

Here is a PDF press release from Shofukan about the ministry decision:
http://shofukan.nl/cms/wp-content/uploa ... 112_EN.pdf

Here is the page about the Senshin-an garden at Shofukan, with a video about the construction of the teahouse:
http://shofukan.nl/senshin/
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanx Evans for doing such a quick research job.
I guess I have to visit this place next month or so when I need to go to Rotterdam.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:07 am

I never need to go to Rotterdam but now it seems more interesting at least.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Mr. Evans, thanks for posting that information. I liked the video which brings me to my question (and to anyone who can help me advance beyond caveman smarts) how do you post links to a video or story? Does anyone have a recommendation on a video camera? I like the idea of a GoPro with the intent of using it as regular camera - any thoughts? I can take video on my iPhone but with limited length. Also does anyone have a video editing program they recommend?

Return to “Timber Architecture”