mini-minguren

Furniture making techniques with solid wood.
Brian
Deshi

Re: mini-minguren

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 pm

That is a nice solution, and tapering the full line of dovetails makes sense. I wonder if these lock up tighter than full length sliding dovetails given the reduction in friction.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:00 am

35mm should be adequate thickness I would think.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:59 pm

I should prabably take more time in formulating this entry but I'm thinking about it now. Nakashima furniture makes me think of Frank Lloyd Write or Henry Moore in that one one of the most important aspects of their success is great marketing. If I made a piece exactly like Mr. Nakashima most people would woud look at it and say "hey Paul nice little table using 3 pieces of wood". If I then said "$5,000 please" they would fall over laughing. Tell someone the piece was from Nakashima studios and they would offer $20,000.
Frank Lloyd Write's "Waterfall" building makes people weak in the knees "Most beautiful building ever!" It is in a constant state of falling apart and has probably required more time, effort, and money to maintain/repair than any building. Most over rated architect ever?
In Kansas City (and everywhere else) Henry Moore sculptures are are considered gifts from the Gods and are one of the draws to the Nelson Atkins Art Museum. They are big - HUGE - blobs of awesome! If I made the same thing on a tiny scale it would look like something picked up at the local dog park.
What's my point (is there a point)? Once someone or their work has established some "momentum" anyone who criticises it is concidered the uneducated bafoon. There are countless numbers of talented craftsmen but unless they are able to stroke the ego of the buyer/viewer they will remain anonymous.
I'm still not sure if I've made any sense here.
Gadge
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Paul,

I agree with most of what you wrote. I've made an ass of myself here a couple of times so I may as well continue on the same vane.
I think a lot of George's pieces are beautiful but don't like his signature raw edges. To me, that natural raw edge does not harmonize with the other rectilinear elements of the designs. As far as I'm concerned it up there with coffee tables made from wagon wheels and rural scenes painted on hand saws.

Gadge
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:11 pm

I should've added that i like Mr. Nakshima's work and good for him and the business he started and is still strong.
My yammering was directed toward the assumption that : if you are popular - you must be the best.
Grrrrrr don't get me started on painted saw blades . . .
Brian
Deshi

Re: mini-mingurene

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 pm

He certainly understood the value of a bit of romance. His compound is nice place to visit and you walk away wanting a bit of that for yourself.

I think that is a big reason as to why he became so popular.

I tend to agree with you, especially with regard to FLW, but I do like a lot of his work and given the context I understand why he is considered to be so important.

Edit; changed bit to big, thanks AAPL for always 'fixing' things.
Last edited by Brian on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Brian you are certainly right about that, I'd kill a hobo with a hammer for a chance to have a place like his. I also don't think the world will end if his furniture has fasteners in it.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Gadge wrote:Hi Paul,

I agree with most of what you wrote. I've made an ass of myself here a couple of times so I may as well continue on the same vane.
I think a lot of George's pieces are beautiful but don't like his signature raw edges. To me, that natural raw edge does not harmonize with the other rectilinear elements of the designs. As far as I'm concerned it up there with coffee tables made from wagon wheels and rural scenes painted on hand saws.

Gadge
Somehow I think he borrowed the idea :D

Return to “Furniture”