New Table

Furniture making techniques with solid wood.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: New Table

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 am

Is the joint between the lumber support piece and the seat visible from below, or blind? If blind, the joint could be internally wedged, aka hell tenoned. If that is the case, then the parts are not intended to come apart, but could be loose all the same. If a through tenon was used, and you can see the end of the tenon clearly under the seat frame, and there are no wedges, it should be removable by tapping the seat frame member down.
john verge

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:21 pm

The tenon is blind and not through the seat. The top of the lumbar support has a blind tenon and is connected to a cross piece and the cross piece is connected to the chair back uprights. It seems like things were m&teed then held together with a mild glue. I think Brian called it "hide" glue as in animal hide?
I tapped the chair seat and an eighth or so gap revealed with out too much trouble.
Thanks for the post up Chris.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:03 pm

They didn't use hide glue in old Chinese pieces, but either a fish-based glue or simply wiping the joints with lacquer. Hide glue is an acceptable substitute in most cases however.

~C
john verge

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Interesting, I'm thinking laquer because the tenons have a sort of shiny crunchy kind of film on them which does remind me of that.

Return to “Furniture”