Bench build

What's working for you and what isn't?
Brian
Deshi

Bench build

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Paul,

I just started working on another small bench that I plan to use as a saw bench, complete with holes for hold fasts and a split top.

I'll post up some pics once it starts to move along a bit, right now I'm just prepping stock, which is exciting for me but pretty dull otherwise.

I'm using White Ash, which is truly the best quality wood readily available in this area, comes nearly flat right from the yard so it's quick to work with a hand plane. The straight grained stuff turns out a beautiful finish right off the jointer to the point where 2 swipes with a finish plane removes any lingering tear out.

Also, fairly tired of breathing in whatever is in wiping varnish ("oil finish") so recently I've just been using beeswax 'finish' for anything that is not a tabletop.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Bench build

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I will look forward to it. A lot of people have come with some really nice benches and I am more than happy to follow some of their ideas.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Brian wrote:Also, fairly tired of breathing in whatever is in wiping varnish ("oil finish") so recently I've just been using beeswax 'finish' for anything that is not a tabletop.
Perhaps you should say hello to water based low VOC finishes, like Enduro Var? Beeswax is only really suitable for very oily woods and those items which receive next to no handling. If you want to wax, there are better choices besides. I like to use neutral Kiwi shoe polish.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:38 pm

I tend to avoid the water/enviro-friendly finishes because harsh fumes from varnishes makes me hallucinate and helps to put faces to the voices in my head.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Paul Atzenweiler wrote:I tend to avoid the water/enviro-friendly finishes because harsh fumes from varnishes makes me hallucinate and helps to put faces to the voices in my head.
Makes sense. You need to listen to those voices. ;)
De
Dennis

Bench build

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 am

Easier to wipe with thinning, and also perhaps somewhat better penetration, which may be an aid in bringing out color in the wood. With a pure oil type like Tung or Perilla, getting a feel for the application process, it seems appropriate to thin at first. Drying time is also affected by thinning.

I was a big fan of polymerized Tung oil for many years when working in a drier climate. Health wise I don't think it is harmful compared to the oil with a metallic dryer added. It builds better to enable a sheen than the pure type that hasn't gone through a polymerization process.

One thing that I have found that gives the best results with pure oil finishes in terms of really giving a shine, is being able to apply another application after a couple of months. I suspect it is because the surface of the wood with it's previous finish application has had time to completely harden. It seems to produce a patina that can never be achieved during the relatively short time period that generally comprises the finishing after completing a project.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:49 am

Have any of you guys done a wax finish applied with the burnishing method? I've read about this, but have not explored it beyond that.

This is not something I would do for a clients project (i like sturdy finishes for that) but for stuff in the shop and around the house I like to experiment.

Dennis I've found the same thing with oil finishes, I'm always impressed at how well turned out re-finished projects are that are lightly touched up and re-oiled. I have one project that looked like a mirror for quite some time.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Some simple kiri boxes one burnished and waxed one stained with wetstone slurry and waxed not much burnished.

It's the unmatched advantage of a good oil treatment and maintenance like that that it will continually improve with age.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Thats a great looking finish. What do you use to burnish? I have in mind one of those broom handle looking burnishers, but perhaps there is a better choice.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 pm

The bundle of rice plant roots, can't recall the name of it though somebody here's bound to know.

Return to “Finishing - Materials and Techniques”