Bench build

What's working for you and what isn't?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Bench build

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Ernest, do you have any pictures of other woods finished with that method? Walnut? Cherry? Oak? I'd be interested in seeing how each species accepts this method. Love the pics, I'm drawn to that surface.
Rob
Lurker

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Don Williams is an exponent in the use of what he calls a Polissoirs, as described in André Jacob Roubo L'Art du Menuisier. http://donsbarn.com/polissoir-line-up-now-complete/

The Uzukuri is the Japanese version http://www.kanna-ya.net/uzukuri/

Finishing is an art in itself, perhaps further discussion should be continued in the Finishing - Materials and Techniques section.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:29 pm

"Finishing is an art in itself, perhaps further discussion should be continued in the Finishing - Materials and Techniques section."

Voila! It is done.
De
Dennis

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Now if only clients would better understand that often the finish on their work is that subject in itself that has a lot of time and research and practice invested into it. With what is under the finish, two trades combined into one, really.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:08 am

Chris Pyle wrote:Ernest, do you have any pictures of other woods finished with that method? Walnut? Cherry? Oak? I'd be interested in seeing how each species accepts this method. Love the pics, I'm drawn to that surface.
Hello Chris,
To be honest I didn't try this on any of the woods you throw up, I just never thought it was compatible, still I guess it could not hurt to try and see. I once did an entire coffin of cypress wood only with the burnishing, no added finishing substance and was real pleased with the result on both quarter grain sections as well as flat grain sections. That said, the finished piece had an expected life span of about two days.

Ernest

Return to “Finishing - Materials and Techniques”