Finishes that are safe and pleasant to use indoors?

What's working for you and what isn't?
SteveM
Raw Log Import

Re: Finishes that are safe and pleasant to use indoors?

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:02 pm

I know this thread is a little old, but I'd like to make a plug for Pure Tung Oil (not polymerized, which contains chemicals). Its all natural, non-toxic (good on food... contact surfaces :D and can be hand rubbed/applied [my method] without concern - don't thin with solvent obviously) for anyone looking for an oil finish. It also has a pleasant, not too strong odour which eventually disappears. It does have limitations, being unsuitable for exterior use (its not very water resistant nor resistant to UV) or any hard-wearing surfaces and does not produce a gloss surface, but rather a matte or satin sheen. It can also yellow the appearance of some woods, so its not universally suitable that way, although it won't yellow with age. Given a coat of wax however, can substantially increase the gloss and durability once you've applied the last coat of oil and its cured. Its also easy to renew if needed. Its relatively slow curing, which some might see as a drawback, but I consider all the time I spend on making something worth any extra time spent on finishing (isn't that a universal rule?). A little goes a long way - I still have half the quart I bought from Lee Valley back in 1986 - and you really would be surprised at how many projects it has been used on (in fact, you wouldn't believe me so I won't say,... and anyway, I've forgotten how many :( ). It can also be used to coat metal surfaces (like tools) and provide corrosion resistance if the item is going to be stored - not really a good choice for short term protection/maintenance since it leaves a hard finish - not that hard to remove, but less convenient than wiping off a wet oil.

So anyway, might satisfy someone's needs.

Steve
Last edited by SteveM on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 am

I use tung oil almost exclusively. I particularly like it on cutting boards and knife handles. I find it holds up better to moisture than mineral oil, and can be buffed to a smooth but still grippy sheen.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:13 pm

I've been using shellac for cabinetry. Though, not the home center variety, instead using shellac flakes and a friend of mine has gotten me pure 200 proof denatured ethanol, the stuff used in the perfume industry.

You still can't breathe it in, but it does not contain methanol or other nastiness.

Return to “Finishing - Materials and Techniques”