Flea Market Chisel

Do you have a Japanese plane, or chisel, or box, or brochure and you can't read the characters? Post a hi-res. pic of what you are looking to read and see if the mystery can be solved!
escalador.evan
Lurker

Flea Market Chisel

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Picked this chisel up last winter at a flea market and its a great chisel. The Kanji is pretty hard to read, good luck!
IMG_1675.JPG.jpeg
IMG_1675.JPG.jpeg (340.83 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Flea Market Chisel

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:45 am

Took the liberty of resizing the picture. Please keep pictures to 1000 pixels wide at most.

A bit difficult to read, not at all sure I am identifying the characters correctly.

The top two are '登録', meaning '(trademark) registered'. 100% certain those ID's are correct.

Below that looks to be '', meaning 'pressure'. Not sure.

Then '' meaning 'new'. 80% certain.

At the bottom it is not very clear. Possibly it is '' meaning 'located in, residing'. Not sure.

Will think it over more...
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Flea Market Chisel

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Okay, think I have this id done.

The first character: '' , hidari, means 'left'.

That was one of the characters I was considering but it was really hard to tell exactly what it was.

Then the middle character is '' shin, meaning 'new'

Last '' saku, meaning 'made (by)'

Adds up to 'Hidari Shinsaku', which is simply a brand name. I was helped in the ID by So Yamashita, and he tells me the smith's name for that brand is Miyawaki, and the chisel is likely more than 65 years old. Likely to be White Steel #2. Supposed to be pretty good!

Return to “ID this Tool”