Hand techniques

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
De
Dennis

Re: Hand techniques

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:44 am

Sitting on a tall stool with an appropriate height for the stones accordingly, seems like it could work ok.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:33 am

ernest dubois wrote:I wonder at the sitting posture while sharpening. It seems the least practical given a choice between kneeling, standing and sitting.
You omitted the posture of squatting, which was the 'approved' position when I worked at Eastwind.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:15 am

Chris Hall wrote:
ernest dubois wrote:I wonder at the sitting posture while sharpening. It seems the least practical given a choice between kneeling, standing and sitting.
You omitted the posture of squatting, which was the 'approved' position when I worked at Eastwind.

Does the pressure on the knees bother you when squatting? I don't feel pain when I squat for a duration but it's rarely comfortable and I don't see myself being able to maintain that position through a full sharpening. Are there subtle nuances in posture?
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Chris Hall wrote:
True, squatting would be a fourth.

I use a pillow when working on the floor, does that still count? And I really don't like long sessions but that's good for helping keep them short.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Does the pressure on the knees bother you when squatting? I don't feel pain when I squat for a duration but it's rarely comfortable and I don't see myself being able to maintain that position through a full sharpening. Are there subtle nuances in posture?
Oh, I didn't say that I used a squatting position when I sharpen, I only said that at Eastwind, that was how the boss had learned so most of the people there sharpened while squatting.

Me, I'm comfortable squatting, however I sharpen in a kneeling position, or seiza. I kneel on a thin cushion and the stones are atop a 4" thick granite plate.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Got the Snow White stone. I prepped some new Koyamaichi paring chisels special made in blue steel with ebony handles.

It cuts nicely, wow, cannot believe I tortured myself with that king 6k for so long. Really can't say it took very long to go from 1k to all of the scratches removed with an 8k stone, but I do appreciate the advice so when I pickup the 13000 I will add a 3000 chosera as well.

8000 seems more than enough, but the 13000 might be nice for paring chisels....and straight razors.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:24 am

The intention of the graduated progression is not just reducing time spent at the finer grit but reducing the grinding effect of the coarsely ground surface of the blade on the fine stone itself. Seen that way its economical in more ways than one to include the intermediate stone.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 am

Just wanted to update this as I've made some changes to my routine which is now;

325 DMT to set the edge to a 1000 Chosera, to a 3000 chosera to an 8000 snow white.

The quality has improved over the previous 1000 king to 6000, and still improved over 325 DMT to 1000 King to 8000 Snow White.

I may still add another stone to the mix and purchase a Gokumyo finishing stone.

So thanks guys for encouraging me to change my routine.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Chris,

Your advice has done well for me (thank you) and I am wondering if I can trouble you for more of it.

I'm considering an Okudo Suita stone as a finishing stone, would this be a good choice or should I make another consideration?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Personally, I'm convinced excellent results can be obtained with either natural stones or synthetic stone, not to mention mixed-media approaches. I am by not any means all that savvy in regards to natural, stones possessing just a couple. The one I do have I use daily, and quite like it. What I like about it is it hardly dishes at all, has a pleasing cutting feel, leaves an excellent finish, and there is something kinda earthy and nice about the small of clay emanating from the stone as you work the blade on it. Maybe it's the smell more than anything that gives me positive regards for the stone. :)

The main decision with natural stones is whether to go for a hard stone or a soft one. There are pros and cons to each...

Return to “Rocks”