Suzuki Tools Stones

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Suzuki Tools Stones

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:47 pm

I received a set of stones from Suzuki Tools. I got a 1000, 4000, and 8000. Before I ruin them, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can help with.

Can these stones be stored in water or do they need to dried after using? How long should they be soaked before using?

I still need to figure out something for lapping them flat. Right now I'm debating between Atoma 400, a coarse DMT Dia-sharp, or a Norton flattening stone. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
Ken
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Suzuki Tools Stones

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:44 pm

You don't want to store sharpening stones in water for extended periods. Besides pond scum, bacteria, etc., long-term soaking can damage some types of stones permanently. The water can soften the bond between particles of stone, leading to a stone which disintegrates rapidly when used.

Depending upon what type of artificial stones you purchased, there might be a short soak time or they might be of the 'splash and go' variety. The stones should have some mention of the recommended method of use on their packaging somewhere.

Regular artificial stones like King 800 or 1000, benefit from soaking for 10 minutes or longer - until air bubbles no longer migrate off the stone surface.

The ceramic type of stones, in the coarser grits at least, don't seem too bothered by a couple of minute's soak, but the medium stones and up are splash and go.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Re: Suzuki Tools Stones

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:37 am

Thanks for the reply Chris, sounds like my best bet is to soak before and dry after.

I think I'm just over thinking it :?

Return to “Rocks”