Suehiro Debado-Ryu stones, any experience?

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
Brian
Deshi

Suehiro Debado-Ryu stones, any experience?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Evening Gents.

I currently use Chosera medium stones (1k, 3k) and the 8k snow white prior to switching to Jnats to finish.

I'd like a stone that stays flatter longer, since I don't have a sink handy (banished from sharpening in the kitchen) and so the constant flattening required for Cho's drives me a bit crazy.

The Suehiro debado-ryu stones make a lot of promises, they're also fairly expensive, so just wondering if anyone has any experience with them before I buy to try them out.

Thank you
Brian
Carey
Raw Log Import

Re: Suehiro Debado-Ryu stones, any experience?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi Brian-

I see this is an old thread, but since I have a bit of possibly-pertinent info, I will make my first post on this
Forum here.

I have had the Suehiro Debado 2000 and 400 for a long time. They don't see much use, because while they
are very hard (the hardest synthetic stones I've ever used), they require very frequent dressing in order to
keep them cutting. The 400 is, at its best, about equal to a 1200 stone. The 2000 can be useful for ura-oshi, but I seldom use it. The 2k definitely is the better stone of the two, and keeps cutting much
longer between surfacings than the 400, but still no panacea for the flattening issue, IMHO.

-CW
Brian
Deshi

Re: Suehiro Debado-Ryu stones, any experience?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Thank you! Handy info to have.

Return to “Rocks”