Coarse stones: Shapton Pro 120 vs. Sigma Power Select II 240

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Coarse stones: Shapton Pro 120 vs. Sigma Power Select II 240

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:18 am

Does anyone have any experience with both stones? I need a new coarse stone, and I'm currently leaning towards one of those two. I've read plenty of opinions of both, but individually, not compared side to side. Stu has suggested that the Shapton might cut slower than the Sigma Power, but that was an off hand remark without much elaboration. At this point I'm leaning towards the Sigma Power, due to my experience with other Shaptons and Sigma Powers, but any input would help.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Coarse stones: Shapton Pro 120 vs. Sigma Power Select II

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 am

I have had the Sigma Power II #240 for 3 years now, and I really have be disappointed in its performance. I have only used japanese laminated blades on it, both freehand and in a jig. For me, the stone behaves like it is glazed over, so I get very little grinding action. Mostly coarse polishing. The stone is not very friable, so perhaps I have a bad sample? I have used an atoma #140 diamond plate, and a compact shapton laying plate w/silicon carbide grit, to maintain the sigma #240. I mostly use the stone now as a flattening stone for my other synthetic stones. It works well in that role.

My favorite coarse stone is a #220 "pink brick". I purchased it from Hida Tools, but it is available from many online retailers. It is a little uneven in cutting action across the surface of the stone, but overall grinds metal well. I think it started out about 30mm thick, and I have worn it down to ~4mm. The stone needs frequent flattening.

My next favorite is a #400 sigma I purchased from toolsfromjapan. It stay very flat and cuts very evenly. As my freehand technique improves, I find I can fix most nicks and chips on the sigma #400.

For bevel changes, I typically will use PSA #80 sandpaper on a granite plate. I infrequently use a Worksharp with diamond lapidary discs, but It tends to leave deep scratches.
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Coarse stones: Shapton Pro 120 vs. Sigma Power Select II

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:51 pm

See, I've heard that same comment about the Sigma Power from a few sources, but then I've heard from others that it eats laminated blades voraciously, to the point of being overkill. I've also heard both that the Shapton cuts as fast or faster than an Atoma 140 and stays fairly flat, and that it's ineffectual and wears too quickly. It seems strange to me that there are so many directly opposing opinions about these two stones. I can't imagine there's that much sample variation out there.

I've used the pink brick in the past. I didn't love it. I can't say I've used any coarse stone that I've really loved, but some have sucked less than others. For tools, right now I'm using the Chosera 400 and Beston 500, depending on how much work I need to get done. The Chosera feels better and is easier to follow up with a medium stone, but the Beston is faster and dishes less. I'd be happy with either one of them, but I'm glad to have both. I'm hoping to find something coarser for major reparations. I have a whole bunch of eBay tools with severely rounded bevels and chipped edges, and fixing them up takes a toll on my stones (and hands). I've been using sandpaper on a plate as well, but I'd prefer stones. The sandpaper wears out too quickly, and I always manage to skin a knuckle on it somehow.

Return to “Rocks”