Surface repair grindstone

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
indranil
Lurker

Surface repair grindstone

Sat May 07, 2016 7:08 am

I came across this product at this website https://jpytools.pswebstore.com/accesso ... -mark.html
Surface repair grindstone (EBI Mark)
NANIWA surface repair grindstone with rubber stand. IO-0001
¥ 5,408 tax incl.

Want to know if this product is any good for flattening Japanese ceramic waterstones.
Most people seem to use diamond stones for flattening their waterstones - if so are these effective as well?
Also, I have seen recommendations for 400 grit diamond stones for flattening - would this work for the higher grit waterstones (3,000 and above) as well?
Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Surface repair grindstone

Sat May 07, 2016 12:46 pm

In general, stones specifically made for flattening have to be used carefully so you do not wear them out of flat. It's not complicated. Simply making sure to lap the entire surface, flip the stone you are flattening 180 degrees for a few strokes, flip over the stone for a few strokes. Still a good idea to check it every once and a while for flat.

Diamond plates generally never go out of flat. I use atoma diamond plates, and they last for many years. My biggest complete about them is that they can clog, and it is messy to clean the surface. I clean them to minimize cross-grit contamination. The 400 grit on a diamond plate is a good compromise between speed and roughness. Some recommend a 1200 grit for natural finish stones so you do not wear them away too fast. I do not have any ceramic stones, so I cannot comment on their effectiveness in that instant. Using a diamond plate is the same as a repair stone. You want to lap the entire surface, flip the stone or plate, and be aware of applying even pressure.

David
indranil
Lurker

Re: Surface repair grindstone

Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 am

Many thanks - I suppose then that a diamond stone would be a better way to go. A grindstone surely would not be as durable and perhaps not as flat.

Return to “Rocks”