Brain droppings of the Jnat variety

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
Brian
Deshi

Brain droppings of the Jnat variety

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Wrote up a post on Jnats, thought I'd share with the group.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... rspective/
Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Brain droppings of the Jnat variety

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:19 am

Coupled with the video, that's a great writeup. The finish left on the edge is very interesting. Although you're not attempting to compare synthetics to JNats, the difference between the 13k and Jnat is highlighted well. When I look at the finish left from a 13k stone more closely, I can usually find errant larger scratches, but perhaps this is more prominent due to the mirror like finish. I have replaced my 6k Sigma with a natural stone, and have found these errant scratches have disappeared in my sharpening process. Well done on the bevel photography, it's not easy taking those sort of shots!

I look forward to the day I am able to try some JNats like the ones you've shown.

Thanks Brian!
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks Vips! Glad you found it helpful.

Exactly, I'm finding a much more durable edge on natural stones because those large scratches dont exist anymore on my bevels. Large scratches are what cause the edge to create very small chips which eventually leads to failure and the need to resharpen.

So true, it took some doing to get decent photos of the bevels at close up.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 am

Brian, I wanted to say thanks for this write-up. I've been focused on using artificial stones because Jnats were a "whole nuther" rabbit hole to go down so I didn't give this posting much thought. I've now started to peak down that hole. Are you still using a similar set-up?

Where did you get your stones? So?

Return to “Rocks”