A pretty good Diamond flattening plate

Ah, the sharpening. Here's where you can discuss sharpening stones and media, along with sharpening techniques.
Carey
Raw Log Import

A pretty good Diamond flattening plate

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

I recently took a chance on a house-brand diamond plate from Chef Knives to Go, which is nominally 400
grit on one side and 1000 on the other. If the one I got is representative, then I'm impressed. It's quite
flat and cuts well, though it's *not* a coarse material-hogger. It does have a grid pattern to help with the
sticking issue too, but it's so shallow that I'm not sure it helps. For $35 it seems like a bargain though, especially if they're all this flat. I have no financial interest in CKTG, et c.

One caveat: the plate is listed as being 8" by 2.75", but the one I received is 7.8" by 2.5".

-CW
Gadge
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: A pretty good Diamond flattening plate

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 pm

I bought half a dozen from China. Pretty sure it is the same as you describe.
Flat and cut well. Steel plate so quite heavy. 31 Australian dollars (about USD20). Free shipping. Bargain!
Carey
Raw Log Import

Re: A pretty good Diamond flattening plate

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Gadge wrote:I bought half a dozen from China. Pretty sure it is the same as you describe.
Flat and cut well. Steel plate so quite heavy. 31 Australian dollars (about USD20). Free shipping. Bargain!
You got them for around 20 USD? Now that's a serious bargain! Yeah, they are stout, too.

My first thoughts were: "heavy- that's good, but probably not flat". Then "hmm.. flat too?
Probably won't cut". But it does, better than others I've used, in fact I mainly use the 1000
grit side and it's lasting well so far.

-CW

Return to “Rocks”