carpenter bees

Lanterns, fences, gazebo, demado, grills, doors and windows...
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: carpenter bees

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 am

A friend of mine just bought some slabs from Urban Lumber and was very happy with them. I was not ash and I don't know what their wood treatment or kiln situation is.
michael langford
Raw Log Import

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:03 pm

I believe that I've found a practical solution to my original question: diatomaceous earth injected into the bee holes with a bulb device.

I truly hope that Urban Lumber is a success. We need more local sources and effective re-use of trees from residential property. I also don't have any illusions about the work involved with extracting logs from tight quarters, or the complications involved with milling. Before portable bandsaw mills became available, it was almost impossible to get a log milled if there was any chance of imbedded material, nobody with a circle saw mill would take the risk of ruining a blade.
Whether or not your friend is happy with his purchase, the possible presence of powder post beetles...it can take years. How would I know that? Maybe experience is the best teacher after all. I am not claiming to be the ultimate arbiter of wood quality, just know what I've dealt with, and wonder what problems I've ignorantly set up for myself or someone in the future to deal with.

In Paul Discoe's book, there's one photo of their salvage milling operation in Oakland. It shows a huge stationary electric-powered chainsaw mill, a Wood-Mizer, and a jib-crane capable of lifting really big logs off a trailer. If anybody has any more information or photos of that setup, I would love to see them.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:43 pm

michael langford wrote:I believe that I've found a practical solution to my original question: diatomaceous earth injected into the bee holes with a bulb device.

I truly hope that Urban Lumber is a success. We need more local sources and effective re-use of trees from residential property. I also don't have any illusions about the work involved with extracting logs from tight quarters, or the complications involved with milling. Before portable bandsaw mills became available, it was almost impossible to get a log milled if there was any chance of imbedded material, nobody with a circle saw mill would take the risk of ruining a blade.
Whether or not your friend is happy with his purchase, the possible presence of powder post beetles...it can take years. How would I know that? Maybe experience is the best teacher after all. I am not claiming to be the ultimate arbiter of wood quality, just know what I've dealt with, and wonder what problems I've ignorantly set up for myself or someone in the future to deal with.

In Paul Discoe's book, there's one photo of their salvage milling operation in Oakland. It shows a huge stationary electric-powered chainsaw mill, a Wood-Mizer, and a jib-crane capable of lifting really big logs off a trailer. If anybody has any more information or photos of that setup, I would love to see them.
I appreciate the info Mike and really enjoy the discussion. I really want to buy a Lucas swingblade so I can have a near endless supply of riftsawn wood but I would also like a shop full of tools so I'm going to worry about the more immediate need of workshop equipment. I'm most enchanted with the idea of being a part of the complete picture: dropping the tree/canting/sawing/drying then producing a product whose sole value is in the engineering/crafting of the object. When I see pictures of people's yards/lumber sheds with well-stickered stacks of all varieties of wood, I find myself lusting after such a set-up.

I live in a digital world for a day job and have minimal experience. That combination leads one to bite off more than they can chew, while dreaming about all aspects of crafting/building/etc. Suffice it so say, I appreciate you sharing.

Return to “Exterior Woodwork”