TV Show Reach Out

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

TV Show Reach Out

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 pm

A producer or someone like that from the Japanese TV show "世界ニッポン行きたい人グランプリ" (literally: A Grand Prix for those Who Want to Come to Japan) contacted me in the past few days. They want me to audition for the show. If I do okay in the video-taped audition (a big IF it seems to me), then they would fly me to Japan to fulfill my 'Dream of coming to Japan'.

Now, in all honesty I do dream of going back to Japan (it has been 17 years now...), and have a fairly lengthy list at this point in time of places i want to visit and people I want to see. But of course, most TV shows have their sensationalist aspect and I am certainly wary of that, and I have no desire to be the 'insect under glass' du jour, if you know what I mean. But it is kind of interesting. I feel I am hardly photogenic and really very far removed from the sort of person who would be comfortable being on a Japanese variety program. But still, if an interesting opportunity presents itself, then maybe I should consider it.

I haven't even told my wife about this yet (she's been away for 10 days traveling), so it's all very new and weird. Anyone have any advice to offer?
Brian
Deshi

Re: TV Show Reach Out

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 am

Seems interesting, definetly a unique opportunity. Do they focus on an individual's interest in a specific art or topic?
toscano
Lurker

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:35 am

Chris, have you watched any of the previous episodes? Do they resemble reality tv with all its sensationalism, or are they well-considered and not a caricature of the subject they showcase?
_t
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:52 pm

I could only find one episode online, featuring a German girl with an interest in Karuta:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3loog3

Gives you an idea of the format.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 pm

I've had some thoughtful correspondence with a few folks since posting this thread. I realize I will not have control over what the TV people do with my 'image', so to speak, and of course they have their own agenda in terms of producing material that their audience will like and, more importantly, their brand sponsors will also like. I also realize that an exposure on Japanese TV is unlikely to do much at all for my business as a woodworker.

However, thinking about it further, if all I have to do is embarrass myself on a Japanese TV program, and in return get an all-expenses trip to Japan where I can see a bunch of people and places that have been on the bucket list for quite a while, that seems like it would be a reasonable exchange. If, at the end of the day, the program they produce has little bearing on reality, then it would be in good company with the vast amount of TV programming out there, and I don't take myself so seriously that I couldn't handle being portrayed as an 'odd' foreigner on Japanese TV. Face it, Japanese people generally think foreigners are odd, and that is an attitude common in many countries i'm afraid. I'm probably thought of as odd by people in my own culture anyway.

Even if I was portrayed completely accurately on the show, people watching would have their preconceptions anyhow, and it becomes a matter of confirmation bias being satisfied more or less.

On the other hand, you never know who might see that program, and what it might lead to, so it seems like an interesting opportunity. So, I'm open to seeing where this goes. They're talking about coming out to interview me (an audition of sorts) in mid-April it look like. I've given them a detailed list of places I want to go and people I want to meet. I told them that the main reason I would want to go back to Japan would be to learn from people more skilled than myself.

I'll keep y'all apprised of what, if anything, eventuates.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 am

Awesome, interested to see where it goes.

Being a little odd is a good thing....or so I hope :D
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 am

Brian wrote:Being a little odd is a good thing....or so I hope :D
You set a high standard to follow in that regard Brian :P
Brian
Deshi

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:06 pm

:lol: Well played sir, well played.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Well, it looks like a film crew is coming out around April 22nd. It's going to be weird being filmed.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 am

They have postponed coming now for at least a month. Just another weird thing going on at the periphery which is becoming less interesting by the day....

Just back from a short vacation and catching up with posts here.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”